An Update on the Tailored Coat

As my advanced pattern class draws near to the due date for our tailored wool coats, it is becoming crucial to work in little bits every single day. While this concept is pretty new to me as a procrastinating college student, I’m beginning to get the hang of it.

Before we even begin the pattern work for the coat, we draft or drape a master pattern that we will work from. The fit of this has to be perfect to minimize fit issues later on.

Before we even begin the pattern work for the coat, we draft or drape a master pattern that we will work from. The fit of this has to be perfect to minimize fit issues later on.

Back view

Back view

Its easier to work on mannequins, especially if you are draping. I had to add some junk to my mannequin's trunk in order for it to fit me :)
Its easier to work on mannequins, especially if you are draping. I had to add some junk to my mannequin’s trunk in order for it to fit me :)

 

Procrastinating at its finest.

Procrastinating at its finest.

Once the master pattern is done, I drafted up the pattern for what I wanted my coat to look like. After sewing the bodice of this puppy together four different times, I was happy to have my first prototype DONE

Once the master pattern is done, I drafted up the pattern for what I wanted my coat to look like. After sewing the bodice of this puppy together four different times, I was happy to have my first prototype DONE

How you doin' leg o' mutton sleeves!

How you doin’ leg o’ mutton sleeves!

The sketch for my wool coat project

Just to re-cap, this was the original sketch

 

The prototype needed all the bells and whistles that the final was going to have. Bound button holes were pretty much a pain in the rear but I got the hang of it eventually. Left, second bound button hole I have ever done. Right, first bound button hole I'd ever done.

The prototype needed all the bells and whistles that the final was going to have. Bound button holes were pretty much a pain in the rear but I got the hang of it eventually. Left, second bound button hole I have ever done. Right, first bound button hole I’d ever done.

 

This is the level of productivity I'd like to have most days.

This is the level of productivity I’d like to have most days.

Cutting out pattern pieces!

Cutting out pattern pieces!

My wool had a plaid print, so I had to match all the seams perfectly while cutting it out AND sewing it together...hard but worth it.

My wool had a plaid print, so I had to match all the seams perfectly while cutting it out AND sewing it together…hard but worth it.

So this is how far I am currently. Bodice sewed together, plaid matched, twill tape and horsehair canvas hand-sewed in. Sleeves, shoulder pads, and front facing soon to come! I only have a few weeks left!!!

So this is how far I am currently. Bodice sewed together, plaid matched, twill tape and horsehair canvas hand-sewed in. Sleeves, shoulder pads, and front facing soon to come! I only have a few weeks left!!!

 

 

 

 

About these ads